How to Find the Right College for You
It may feel that picking the right college is like putting your hand in a grab bag and seeing what you pull out. There are so many to choose from and many offer a lot of the same things. It all boils down to what your needs are and what you are looking to gain from college.
Because you are likely overwhelmed and don’t know where to start, here are a few things to consider when determining where to apply:
- Do you want to stay close to home or do you prefer to travel off to a faraway land? Everyone is different. Some kids need to stay close to home for one reason or another. Others have a place that they may have visited and always wanted to go back to. Before you can start weeding through colleges, you are going to need to decide how far away you are going to go.
- What do you intend to have as your field of study? You will want to make sure the program is competitive and, most importantly, accredited.
- Will you live on campus or will you commute? Decide on the cost of living and availability of on-campus housing. If you commute, is there transportation? Will you need a car? Many college towns are very commuter-friendly and offer various means of transportation.
- Do you want specific athletic or club organizations? Make sure if there is something that you are counting on that the college you are looking at has it.
- Safety. Check the crime rate and make sure the college is a safe place.
- Graduation rate. Many students drop out of college for many different reasons. Check the graduation rate – if it is very low perhaps the college could have some unseen flaws and it may be a good idea to avoid it.