Sleep: It Ain’t No Luxury
Almost everyone loves to sleep. It is usually the only part of each day that you can close your eyes, relax, shut down your mind, and snuggle deep within the comfort of your bed. Unfortunately, quite often life keeps us from enjoying as much sleep as we’d like – especially when we have obligations to meet with school, work, friends, and family. And, over time, our bodies adjust to receiving minimal amounts of sleep. It is almost as if we begin to treat the sleep we do get as a luxury.
Believe it or not, sleep is not a luxury, but rather a necessity! Not getting enough can cause you problems with your mind (including learning and memory), your body, and your longevity. In fact, a lack of sleep can be responsible for:
- Increased stress and anxiety
- Inability to focus
- Negative-thinking or impaired mood
- High blood pressure
- Weakened immune system
- Difficulty with interpersonal communication
Are you ready to risk your life by giving up something that makes you feel so good? Sleep doesn’t have to be placed on the back burner if you follow a few key steps every day.
- Give yourself a bedtime. Go to bed at the same time every night.
- Limit caffeine intake. Caffeine is a stimulant and will keep you awake.
- Turn off electronics. You do not need your phone or other electronics while you sleep. Turn them off to avoid disturbances.
- Keep your room dark and cool. This is the best way to achieve optimal sleep.
Sleeping is natural and a necessity. Your body needs it and it will thank you for it!