Tired of Old Habits? Change is Good for the New Year.
Out with the old, in with the new – change is good for the new year! Although it is just a calendar switching over to the next year, it always seems to symbolize to us that it is a fresh time to make new habits and get rid of the ones we dislike. In fact, the new year is like a clean slate to create a fantastic year. Many people choose to make resolutions, others choose to just let things go. If you are tired of old habits, now is the time to substitute them for something better.
- Pick one or two things that you want to change. Choosing to do too much can make your resolutions backfire.
- Create a plan for your change. Know what you want to change and how you intend to do it. If you are adding something to your routine, taking something away, or substituting one thing for another – plan for it.
- Write it down. Place sticky notes on your bathroom mirror, front door, steering wheel, etc. Whatever you need to do to keep you focused and will keep your desired change in the forefront of your mind.
- Talk about it. Tell your friends and family. This will help keep you accountable.
- Visualize the change. By letting your mind see the change already occurring can give you a better chance at succeeding.
Many people only keep New Year’s resolutions a few weeks before they break them. Plan and be ready so that you may incorporate your change for good!